Wednesday, December 3

A note from Daddy

Here are some notes that I took today during our drive to Kiev with Tate and his caretaker...

7am - wakes up - check his bed to see if it is wet - take him potty (note: she said that it would probably be good to do a pull-up but that they just cant afford them).

* potty (when he goes potty they always encourage him by saying "dyakao-yoo" - "thank you" in Ukrainian. He sits on the potty (didn't see it but she explained it to me)
* brushing teeth (she mentioned that he taught himself how to do his teeth and is very independent wanting to do it by himself (probably explains his teeth)). She did comment on how good his small motor skills are much better than the other kids...he can sit putting small beans from one bowl to another for quite some time.
* play time with toys and other children

8am - breakfast - typically about 15 min. and is usually something like oatmeal with butter, bread, tea w/ milk

(15 min. after eating....potty time)
washing his hands / face / etc.

9am - Lesson 1 - is one-on-one time with caretaker where they do things like games / story-telling (showing how the bunny hops / bear walks / etc) / stacking / playing with models that help him put shapes in the right spots / etc.

10am - Free Play & Glass of Juice (typically they have them outdoors - always talking about the birds singing, interacting with them...

Noon - Lunch (she mentioned that he is able to eat by himself (usually with a bib) and drinks out of a standard cup). Did speak with her about choking issues and she mentioned that he is good to eat most anything, but they do mash up most everything (she explained that we could gauge his chewing capabilities...they just have too many kids to chance having anyone have choking issues so they basically mash most everything up). She definitely said that something like an apple would not be good, but that we will just need to experiment with it a bit. This is something that we will just have to work on...
(lunch is usually borsh / soup...steamed chicken or meat...cabbage/rice/mashed potato/etc...

(15 min. after eating...potty time)
washing his hands / face / etc.

12:30pm - Nap Until 3:30

(Potty)

3:30pm - Snack (cracker / milk / pastry / etc)

4pm - 2nd Lesson (I think that they do lots of focused things that he enjoys...singing, tactile activities, physical development (i.e. crawling through tubes, dancing)

5pm - 7pm - Free Play Outside

7pm - Prepare for dinner (wash hands / face / put bib on)

7:15pm - Dinner (they do monitor his intake as he will eat and eat)...same types of foods mentioned above and about 100-200 grams of drink (4-7 ounces)

(Potty)

8pm - Ready / Go to Bed

She mentioned that he would be fine with either a bath or shower. She also commented that he doesn't currently have a blanket that he needs to sleep with.

I have to tell you that I am SO EXCITED to get him home. I think that is why I am so frustrated with the final details...just want to take him now and get home. He is SO SUPER SWEET...such a love. The kids are going to love him so much...he loves repetition, is very disciplined, and needs structure & encouragement. He was singing and saying "mama" for about 10 min. today on the ride home...you would have loved to see it!! We tried to get him to say "papa" but he just kept saying mama...the caretaker was explaining to him where you were. Seeing him with his caretaker was incredible...she truly loves him and is so good with him. It is going to be hard to take him out of that environment, but I know that same love is waiting for him at home :-).

9 comments:

Our Story: Continued said...

Oh! You guys are so close!! We're praying Tate all the way home! I hope your trip goes smooth and quick and you can get back with Tate in tow to your crew waiting for you at home! Alison, it must be so hard to not be there!!

Kristen Plum said...

so sweet.

Heather said...

What a couple of great posts.I so enjoyed reading them and seeing his little environment.I am so excited to meet him and have him home with the family that has loved him from afar and now will get to love him everyday,up close and forever!By the way,I can be bribed NOT to tell the bed secret.Oh and I fixed the Zoey button problem and you can re-grab it if you want.Check out our latest posts ... the day has been interesting to say the least!

Carlie said...

Ok, one of the most emotional journals yet! I can't believe how close it is getting. I can't wait to meet the little sweetie.

@m9f said...

Wow...we are just wishing him home asap!! I'm so excited for him to be loved on by his brothers and sisters!! Just 1 more week....
~Lisa

Jeanne Oliver said...

I have loved reading the recent posts. The children shopping for all the orphans is so priceless. Looking forward to hearing more. After all the waiting can you believe that Tate is coming home to you?

Mandy said...

Not much longer now!!!! You know, when I visited Tate's orphanage in April, his orphanage had the poorest buildings but the caretakers were the MOST caring out of all 3 that we seen :)
He is one beautiful little boy and will fit perfectly in your family!
I'm so happy for you guys!

Anonymous said...

The schedule will need to be modified for all the hugs and kisses and snuggles he'll be getting daily from his sisters, brothers, mom and dad. :-)

Shelly Turpin said...

What a blessing to have such detailed information, but more importantly to know that he has been loved. What a blessing!

Farmers

Farmers