Yesterday while taking the kids on a walk, Buddy was struck by a bicyclist. Buddy was walking about 5 feet behind me when it happen. I turned around just as they made contact. The bicyclist was racing around the pedestrian walkway way too fast. When he went to pass Buddy he instead knocked him over and fell on top of him (his bike too). Unfortunately, Buddy's head took the brunt of the fall. The man had two choices he could have: A. responded quickly with numerous apologizes and concern for the 3 year old he hit or B. lashed out defensively using loud, foul language. He chose the later! As he got on his bike and rode off I was in a daze still wondering what exactly happened. The only words I could utter were, "Are you kidding me, my 3 year old hurt YOU...you should have had control of yourself." We continued on the walk with several people stopping us to see if Buddy was alright. They had witnessed the accident.
Nearly 15 minutes later the man came back to apologize for his actions and his words. He was extremely remorseful about the situation and how he had handled things. I think it was a good wake-up call for him. After sincerely forgiving him he walked off with his head hanging.
Our walk could have ended much differently. Instead of a
large goose egg Buddy could have suffered major brain damage. Instead of hatred for a stranger I chose
grace. God is good...all of the time. I am so thankful for his protection over Buddy's body and my heart.

4 comments:
I'm glad he's okay and that the man came back! The nerve of some people- always looking to place blame elsewhere. I'm sure you were a great example for your beautiful children, and that's why the man came back- he knew he was wrong to behave that way.
How amazing that he came back. How you handled it was such a sweet example to your children and the stranger. So glad that your little guy is alright.
Poor Buddy. I'm glad that man came back. That's just awful...
Oh my....Alison, how scary for all of you! I'm so glad Buddy's okay. God is good.
Post a Comment