One of my friends asked me before I left what my thoughts were on the upcoming election and current economic issues. I flippantly responded that I was tired of politicians and their “campaigning”, and tired of thinking about the economy and all those that were involved with the current mess (politicians, bankers, mortgage brokers, etc.)….
This trip has given me such a different perspective and been such a humbling reminder…
How easy it is for me to sit in the comforts of the US and say that I am “tired” of thinking about politicians and the economy. I have quickly been reminded of just how truly blessed I am to be an American. Here in the Ukraine I have seen a country that is a new democracy (I use the term “democracy” loosely) and all the hardships that go along with that – Ukraine became independent of USSR in the early 90’s. The country is rich with natural resources and hard-working citizens, but the country is plagued by corruption at every level (bribes and corruption are rampant in all parts of the business and political world). Citizens are passionate about politics as it will literally shape and directly impact their lives. They don’t have the luxury of simply being “tired” and “dis-engaging”.
I will get off my soap-box now, but wanted to share my humbling reminder with all of you. We are truly blessed to be Americans, to live in a culture with deeps roots in an established democracy, and a common moral fabric that allows us so many opportunities. Given that, I will always be grateful to this country for caring for my son and for his mother that chose life (forever blessing our family because of that decision).
Thanks to all of you for your prayers and encouragement during this process!
Mike
2 comments:
Great post! A few weeks in another country--no matter how much you appreciate that country--does indeed give you a whole new perspective. We are truly blessed in the USA.
Joy
Just getting caught up. Have been working at night. Celebrating birthdays! When do you guys come home? Soon, right? I was just telling my mom tonight that I am tired of "election stuff". Thanks for the perspective. I needed it too. Sad I can't Skype...I'd ove to say hi to you guys. My sad little posts will have to do for now. How are picture uploads coming? Any good stories from the kiddos at home? How have they been spending their time?
Post a Comment