------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One Proud Dad
(Saturday, May 9th….. Moorpark, CA)
“Dad, are you and Uncle Bob going to be calling out my times?”
…today was the big day – Varsity finals for her track team…the best from around the county…all ready to compete against their peers. The 1600m is Bailey’s favorite race.
I replied, “No, go out and pace with the girl from Ojai, try to stick with her, give yourself a chance to win, and then kick (sprint) at the end…I know you can beat her. Today’s the day…put it all on the line.”
To bring you up to speed….most of the season, Bailey held the 1600m record for her age group at 7:07 (7mins, 7 secs). With about 1 month to go, Bailey got word that a girl from Ojai had beat her time…7:04. To say that this rubbed Bailey the wrong way would be an understatement….she is a competitor and DOES NOT LIKE TO LOSE (we have had many tearful rides back from track meets filled with stern conversations about what it means to lose, how it feels, and what you do with that feeling…..you can quit or fight). Needless to say, Bailey has been obsessed with getting better and beating the “girl from Ojai”. She has been running once a week with her Uncle Bob (this is on top of the twice a week she practices with her team)….all with the goal of breaking a 7 minute mile.
(I have never seen her more focused…but even in practice she had yet to break 7mins)
About a week before Varsity finals, Alison called me at work and said “hey, you are not going to believe this…the girl from Ojai just beat her own record this weekend…6:56”. Alison and I told Bailey, but both of us were apprehensive that it would deflate her…
Over the loudspeaker…Gremlin / 1600m 1st call, Gremlin / 1600m 2nd call, Gremlin 1600m final call…the time had come. With our family positioned at different parts of the track, we were there to cheer and encourage Bailey on.
…She jumped out fast 1st lap – 1:31 (my thought was “oh no, she is going too fast and is going to burn out”). For reference, 1:45 a lap would put her at 7 mins even. Given that, she was still in 3rd place…the girls from Ojai and Santa Paula were out faster…about 10 yards ahead.
…Lap 2 and 3…Bailey had a great pace, but was still in 3rd about 10 yards behind Ojai / Santa Paula (Alison stands at the finish line cheering…I stand on the opposite, quiet side of the track so I can I talk to Bailey when she comes around). At this point, I was just trying to encourage Bailey to stay the pace…give herself a chance on the last lap.
….Lap 4…400 meters to go. Bailey was looking good, keeping pace, but still about 10 yards behind the girls from Ojai and Santa Paula who were together stride for stride. About 200 meters to go….she is going by me at this point…”kick Bailey, kick now!!! – go get them… you can do it, give yourself a chance to win!” (still 10 yards behind, but then it happened)…
“that moment” – all competitors know it…when you dig somewhere deep, nothing left, and you fight. With that, my daughter kicked, final corner, about 5 yards behind and closing….the crowd was going crazy!!! The two girls from Ojai and Santa Paula had run the race of their lives…shoulder-to-shoulder. 50 meters left, Bailey was putting it all on the line, I had tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat…big moment! With about 10 yards left…she pulled ahead and won!!!
I just keep thinking, “6:46 / She beat Ojai…6:46…Oh man, She beat Ojai – this was huge for her!!!” I took off running from the backside of the track where I was standing…I had to get my hands on my daughter!
Minutes later, Alison and I were hugging her…teary-eyed parents, so proud….not because Bailey won, but because she dug deep and competed. In that moment, she chose to fight. As a parent, I know life is going to be full of those 200 meters to go – quit or fight moments. Bailey is a fighter, a true competitor… Love you Bailey!
- One Proud Dad
.jpg)
(anyone who was wondering how close it really was. Here are the final 3 results)…
Girls 1600 Meter Run Gremlin
================================================================
Name Year Team Finals
================================================================
1 McKay, Bailey Ventura Tigres 6:45.85
2 Martinez, Daisy HV Blazers 6:46.17
3 Edwards, Tess Ojai 6:46.24
Big Thanks to Papa for taking Bailey to track practice, Uncle Bob for helping Bailey get to this place, and to her biggest fans…Brooklyn, Buddy, Baby M, Tate, Grandma, Nonnie, Aunt Karen!!
8 comments:
Holy moly, that one had me in tears. Go Bailey! Happy Birthday to you all.
VERY proud of you Bailey! Happy birthday sweetie!
Yea Bailey!...and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
And now you payed me back with tears on your girls b-day!!
Bailey, honey, you are an awesome child of God! I pray you continue to approach life with fresh eyes and strong goals! HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BAILEY GRACE!!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!
That's one of the most amazing stories I have ever heard! Bailey you did it!!!!!! Great job! You are an awsome runnner! Keep up the great running!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY sweet Bailey! I love you very much!!!!!! :) You are such a big sweet heart :) Have a great birthday celebration!
With much love,
Sarah :)
Yay Bailey! Happy Birthday. :) I'm so glad that you dug deep and found the push to the finish! You don't give up. Best of all, you're a sweetie and we love you and your sweet family!!!
OHMYGOODNESS!!! I can't waith to read this to Shane! What a day....you go Bailey! I wish we would've been there.
~Lisa
Post a Comment