Wednesday, March 4

FINALLY FINISHED!



Today marks the end of our EXTREMELY LONG study on the Fruits of the Spirit. If I had given it more thought I would have packed it all into 2 weeks or so. Instead I spread it out covering one fruit each week. I have a had time distinguishing between Kindness and Goodness or Patience and Self-Control. So, I can only imagine that my kids thought it was rather repetitive, but we were committed (btw- we also studied Sea Creatures during February to keep everyone somewhat engaged).

The most memorable part of our study happened during our study on Kindness. The girls are part of a group called KEEPERS of the FAITH. It is similar to Girl Scouts, but it is faith based and for girls who are home schooled. Anyway, our group took a trip to visit the residence at a Convalescent home. We have done this in the past, but this trip was extra special for the girls. We spent time sitting with the grandmas and grandpas. They loved hugging the girls or just touching their arms. Physical touch is so important. The girls took sugar-free candies to pass out. The trip was beneficial on both ends.




Our favorite part of the trip was visiting the memory care facility (Alzheimer's patients). The director explained to the girls that the residents had a memory box on the outside of their room. Each box was filled with special moments from their past- pictures, awards, clothes, books or toys. We found it interesting that they had a baby nursery for the patients to visit if they were extremely confused. She mentioned that they find comfort in the crib, rocker, changing table and baby toys.

We had the privilege of meeting Mr. Warren in the memory care facility. This is a picture of him standing with some of the girls in front of his room. You can see his memory box in the background. He was a REALLY handsome man...and still is!



The director shared a really tender story. Mr. Warren is visited by his wife 4-5 days a week. Sometimes he knows who she is and sometimes he doesn't. They are very sweet together nonetheless and spend most of their time holding hands. Mr. Warren also happens to be a very good dancer we were told. While dancing with the director at their Valentine's party, Mr. Warren started to cry. He whispered in her ear, "Oh, honey, I have missed dancing like this with you. I have missed you so much." He assumed he was dancing with his wife. Yes, all of the KEEPER moms were nearly brought to tears. It was very tender.



No ending would be complete without a party. Today we did just that, we had a fruit party to celebrate that we are done!

4 comments:

Geneva said...

I've been wanting to do a study on the fruits of the spirit as well. I should get together with you soon and pick your brain- or see your notes or something! You're so creative and fun... I need more of that! I'm getting a bit tired and burned out this year already. :(

Cheryl said...

I have enjoyed being evolved with this month's study on the fruit's of the spirit and helping the kids learn the fruit's of the spirit! I have learned a lot too :) It is sooooo much fun to read to Bailey and Brooklyn and teach them on the fruit's of the spirit and explain how we can put them to work in our life. I love you all!
With love,
Sarah

Shelly Turpin said...

Do you buy your unit studies or make your own?

Jeanne Oliver said...

What sweet stories! I love when the children have the opportunity to visit the nursing home. It blesses us as much as the residents.

Farmers

Farmers