Each member of our family has a special blanket. We call them night-nights. And let me tell you they are LOVED. Mike's blanket is a happy face sleeping bag that he has had for nearly 30 years. No, he doesn't still sleep with it now but he is very sentimental about it. My blanket was made by my Grandmother when I was born. "Pooh" has traveled to places like Hawaii and Paris. It was also with me through surgeries, treatments, college and babies. After 27 years pooh found a new home with Bailey (I guess it was time). Bailey's night-night was made by Aunt Karen and now sadly resembles a rag. It is in three separate parts but she still sleeps with it every night. Brooklyn LOVES her pink store bought night-night. She lays it neatly over the top of her with her little toes hanging out the end. Buddy's train blanket was made by our friend, Christine. As I write this I am wondering if she know that it is his
love. If Buddy is doing an art project it is usually for night-night. Emmett has two special blankets from Petunia Pickle Bottom. They are soft, white and fluffy and he needs both of them to go sleep.
I had asked Aunt Karen if she would make a night-night for Tate knowing that he didn't have one to sleep with yet. Then the thought occurred to me that we
really needed to make his special. Mike and I discussed our plan and then talked it over with the kids. Most of the kids were on board or were at least willing to consider it.
Here is the before picture:

We each cut a small heart out of our night-nights to add to Tate's new one.

There were a few tears during surgery but a piece of Tate's night-night filled in our empty hearts.
Tate received his night-night on the car ride home from the airport and he has been snuggling it like a McKay ever since.
6 comments:
What a cute night-night Tate! Tate looks so snuggly in his new blanket! I am so glad you are home!!! Merry Christmas Mckay family :)
With love,
Sarah
Oh my gosh! Look at that smile!
That is the sweetest thing EVER!!
Absolutely the sweetest thing I have seen all day! Alison, you are one of the most thoughtful mommies I have ever known. You've been so creative and amazingly intentional in the ways you've brought Tate into your family...from way back when having him home was just a dream. You make me snuggle my guys a little tighter! Have a wonderful Christmas. ~Lisa
Oh my gosh, how sweet is that!?
Aww we love night nights too! What would bedtime be without them! I love the heart shape cutouts...very meaningful! -Hannah
Post a Comment