Wednesday, September 17

Letter of Love

I flew out of the house tonight on my way to meet up with my friend, Amy, for coffee. I left behind Mike doing the dishes, Brooklyn and Buddy playing dress-up and Bailey giving baby M a bottle on the couch. Minutes early the kids were sprawled out in the family room listening to me read the last few chapters of a book that we started yesterday. I finished the book with less then 5 minutes to spare. Somewhere between getting up from the couch and grabbing my keys baby M got hurt. Brooklyn yelled, "It's bad" as she pulled him up off the ground. His bottom lip was busted open and
bright red blood was running down his nose. Just like clock-work the kids jumped into action. Bailey ran to the freezer for ice and Mike handed her a wet paper towel. Brooklyn shot upstairs to retrieve baby M's 'night-night' (blanket). It didn't take more than a minute or two for the chaos to subside. Bailey made a bottle for baby M and took over my job of snuggling him before bed.

I arrived home at 8:30 to a quiet house. The kids were sleeping peacefully and Mike and Maddie were watching Sports Center. A quick check on the girls and here is what I found.

Two sweet friends.


I got down on the bed and snuggled them for a few minutes. They are growing up too quickly. Where have my baby girls gone?

After a hot bath I got ready to hop into bed. Mike said to check my pillow- Bailey had left a note for me.
click on picture to enlarge

Bailey is entirely too precious. She is becoming such an amazing little lady. She far surpasses what I have hoped and dreamed that she would be. With her note came a understanding that until now I only thought I knew. My dad has saved every piece of paper that Carolyn and I have ever given him. From scribbles and pictures to notes of forgiveness and coupons for free back rubs. My dad has saved them (I know now) because they are his GOLD. They are memories of genuine, completely heartfelt emotion. They are raw and unscripted. They are words unspoken yet they pound heavy on your heart. They are letters only a child could write.

This letter of Bailey's is forever etched in my soul.
And it too will be placed with MY gold.

3 comments:

June Berger said...

Oh my gosh, how sweet! Brought tears to my eyes!

Geneva said...

Beautiful, sweet family!!! Treasure that GOLD. :0)

@m9f said...

Oh Alison...I am crying!! (Lisa...not "UltraMike")Being a mom is the best!

Farmers

Farmers